- What is TIPSTER?
TIPSTER was a DARPA-sponsored project that encouraged the advancement of state-of-the-art
technologies for text handling, such as text retrieval, summarization, and the extraction of
factual information from documents. The project successfully concluded in 1998. The TIPSTER web site
has been archived at
- TREC was initially started as one of three metrics-based evaluations within the TIPSTER program (MUC and SUMMAC being the other two evaluations). The first sets of documents used in TREC, Disks 1--3, were obtained through the TIPSTER program, and are frequently called the TIPSTER disks. Despite the official conclusion of the TIPSTER program, the TREC conferences will continue.
- How do I attend the TREC conferences?
Attendance at TREC conferences is restricted to those researchers and developers who
have performed the TREC retrieval tasks and to selected government personnel from sponsoring agencies.
- How can I participate?
TREC currently runs on a yearly cycle, with a new call
for participation coming out in December of each year. To make sure you are on the email
list for the next call, contact the TREC Program Manager.
- What publications have resulted from TREC?
A listing of TREC publications published by NIST are available at
- Where do I find information to cite a TREC publication?
Information required to cite TREC publications can be found at
(i.e., Special Publication Number, conference dates, conference location, publisher, editor(s), etc.). If
additional information is required and not found, please contact the
TREC Program Manager.
- How can I obtain the TREC test collections?
- The TREC conference series has produced a series of test collections. Each of these collections consists of a set of documents, a set of topics (questions), and a corresponding set of relevance judgments (right answers). Different parts of the collections are available from different places as described on the data page (http://trec.nist.gov/data.html). In brief, the topics and relevance judgements are available at http://trec.nist.gov/data.html, and the documents are available from either the LDC (Tipster Disks 1--3) or NIST (TREC Disks 4--5), information on collections other than English can be found at http://trec.nist.gov/data.html.
- What type of file have I downloaded?
- For information on file formats and utilities used within
this information service, please reference the
Document Help File.